The 2019 Alabama Bandmasters Association District I Honor Band will take place on February 15-16, 2019 at Grissom High School. Auditions for this event will take place at the District I All-State Auditions on January 25-26 at Sparkman High School.
High School Clinician – Dr. Craig Aarhus
Dr. Craig Aarhus is Associate Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music at Mississippi State University. At MSU, he co-directs the Famous Maroon Band and basketball pep bands, conducts the Concert Band and Campus/Community Band, and teaches Conducting and Brass Techniques in the Department of Music. As a member of the band faculty, Dr. Aarhus has been part of a team that has helped lead the band program to unprecedented growth, making it currently one of the largest bands in the Southeast.
A native of Alabama, Dr. Aarhus received his Bachelor of Music Education degree from Auburn University and his Master of Arts and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees in Conducting from The University of Iowa. While at Iowa, he was the recipient of the prestigious Iowa Performance Fellowship and was a conducting student of Dr. Myron Welch. He also served as a graduate conductor for all of the concert bands, arranged music and wrote drill for the Hawkeye Marching Band, and was co-director of the Iowa Pep Band. During this time, he was also the director of the Southeast Iowa Concert Band at Iowa Wesleyan College for one year. Prior to his appointment at MSU, Dr. Aarhus was a successful high school and middle band director in the public schools of Lanett, Tallassee, and Mobile, Alabama.
Middle School Clinician – Nathan Haskew
Mr. Nathan Haskew is currently in his first year as associate band director at Albertville Middle School and High School. Prior to his current position Mr. Haskew served as the band director at Riverton Middle School in Huntsville, AL for two years, the band director at Southside High School / Rainbow Middle School in Gadsden, AL for six years, and Muscle Shoals Middle School and High School in Muscle Shoals, AL for six years. Mr. Haskew graduated from Ashville High School, Ashville, AL in 2001. He graduated from Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL in 2005 with a Bachelor’s of Arts in Music Education and completed his Masters Degree from The American Band College of Sam Houston State University in the summer of 2011. His professional affiliations include National Association for Music Educators, Alabama Bandmasters Association, and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. Bands under the direction of Mr. Haskew have consistently earned superior ratings and numerous awards for their performances. Mr. Haskew continues to serve the Southeast region as an adjudicator, consultant, and clinician
Mr. Haskew is married to Toni Morris Haskew of Hokes Bluff, AL. The couple have one son, Canon David, who is six years old and a daughter, Bayla Rae, who is three years old. The family resides in Albertville, AL.
Honor Band Schedule
Friday, February 15
- 5:30 PM – Seating of Bands
- High School in the auditorium (Wire stands needed Saturday afternoon)
- Middle School in the band room (Wire Stands needed)
- 5:45 PM – 9:00 PM – Rehearsal
Saturday, February 16
- 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM – High School Rehearsal
- 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Middle School Rehearsal
- Lunch (on your own)
- 12:45 PM – 4:00 PM – Rehearsal (bands will swap rehearsal locations)
- 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM – Dinner (on your own) and dress for concert
- 6:30 PM – MS on stage/HS in designated area in audience
- 7:00 PM Concert – Middle School performs first, followed by High School.
- Attendance at all rehearsals is mandatory. Absence from a rehearsal could result in removal from the honor band.
- Students should wear their school’s concert uniform for the Saturday evening performance.
- Students should not have cell phones/digital devices out during rehearsals.
- Concert is free!
- Pep Wear will sell Honor band shirts and plaques.
- Recording available for purchase in the lobby.
Performing for the participants and guest in the Grissom HS auditorium on Saturday, February 16, at 12:45 PM. Admission is free.
9625total visits,3visits today